Just so you know, I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Links may be affiliate links, which won't cost you anything extra when you purchase. For full affiliate disclosures, click here.
Autism Mom Gifts: A Gift Guide for Mother’s Day – or Any Day
What to buy for mom?
Moms come in all shapes and sizes – some tied to bloodlines, others to circumstance or choice or coincidence. But all moms are caregivers – each in their own way. So what to buy for mom depends on her caregiving role.
April is National Family Caregivers Month – a chance to honor caregivers who may not be moms themselves, but who are caring for THEIR moms. Everyone in a caregiving role needs ideas to maintain their own quality of life while supporting others. But it’s not easy.
Caregiving, especially in the world of severe autism, is a marathon, not a sprint. It is a long, circuitous journey, without a map, a compass, or a GPS device of any sort. Special needs caregiving is not for the faint of heart – yet it is not a chosen pathway for special needs parents – it is a path that is chosen for us.
Brene Brown’s foundational work is summed up well in the quote by Antonio Machado she shares here: “Traveler, there is no path. The path must be forged as you walk.” The title of her PhD dissertation is Acompañar, meaning to walk with – not dragging from ahead, nor pushing from behind. Perhaps no one understands this need more greatly than an autism mom. Not at first, of course. There will be months, perhaps years, of trying everything, anything to propel an individual with autism onto a pre-determined path. But, in the end, I think we all arrive at a place of acompañar.
So how to celebrate those who walk with these special individuals, day after day, week after week, month after month? With one – or more – of these thoughtful autism mom gifts. Consider who you are shopping for:
- Who she is: a helper, a fixer, a round-the clock caregiver
- What she needs/wants: something that will help enhance her own quality of life and support her
- What to give: Gifts that help refresh her style and self; ideas that support health, hygiene and wellness, including ideas here: Autism Mom Gift Guide: 4 Ways to Give Your Best
- Subscription Box to try: Kevia JourneeBox
- Who she is: constantly on the go, orchestrating a complex schedule of in-person and online activities and therapies
- What she needs/wants: Connection and activity
- What to give: Gifts that support sports, exercise, or fitness; or gifts that remind her of a favorite place or activity, like 22 Ways to Celebrate Hawaii at Home: Gifts for Hawaii Lovers
- Subscription box to try: Beachly.
- Who she is: losing sleep and wrought with anxiety, the pandemic has been extra hard on her, with the future even more blurry and uncertain
- What she needs/wants: Distraction and peace
- What to give: A shoulder to cry on – or an ear to listen; or a little pick-me-up – or three – from this list Gifts Under 20 Dollars: Piece of Mind Picks
- Subscription box to try: Ipsy
- Who she is: one minute she is researching the latest therapies, insurance regulations and IEP goals, the next she is elbow-deep in shaving cream at the backyard “sensory table”
- What she needs/wants: A break, a moment of respite
- What to give: Support her in taking a reflective pause; share your favorite TV shows, movies, podcasts or playlist; or gift a a book or two from this list: Autism Reading List: 15 Non-Fiction Books for Autism Moms
- Subscription Box to try: FabFitFun
No matter who you are shopping for, the autism moms in your life will appreciate you thinking of them – no matter what the reason for celebration. So grab a few of these autism mom gifts and celebrate the autism moms in your life.
Want monthly updates to learn what’s new at the Piece of Mind Retreat? Click here to get insider access – and our monthly newsletter.